viernes, 2 de mayo de 2008

My 2 Offer Day

I think God was tired of my whining.

Why don't I have a job?? Whyyy?!?!? or Why can't I get straight As anymore? What is wrong with me? Have I become retarded? Whyyyy?!?!


Let's deal with Straight A issue first. I don't think I've ever been able to deal with 100% of an IESE exam before. There have always been some doubts. I wondered what the secret to getting an A was in here. Now I know: You have to be a genius. Or you have to have worked in the subject before.

Last week (er, this week, we are still in the same week but have been on holiday for the past 2 days) I took the Corporate Finance & Economics exams. Those were my double majors in college. Never before had I known how to do 100% of the test here in my life. And as a Finance major, I thought the Corporate Finance test was a little unfair to beginners. Some of the things tested were not directly taught in class, but you had to be smart enough to infer them. I don't think I could have done that after only a month being introduced to such models. Plus, there was an obsure formula on the test we had to know, but I only remembered because when the professor briefly mentioned it in class, I thought: "Neat!" Most people were clueless to what that formula was. The economics test was completely doable and fair, I thought, but hearing people say that it was hard made me feel that I was not retarded having said that about all the other tests I've taken in this place.

And regarding the jobs. I used to hate it when people came up to me and ask what I was doing for the summer. It was like having your married friends ask you all the time whether you are seeing anyone. Mind your own business!! :) Joking. But now that I'm part of the working crowd, I no longer feel that despair... and about being single, well, that's just not that important to me right now.

So after the Economics just I checked my mail. I received a great offer from Charity Bank in London! It would be a very pleasant, laid back summer working for them, plus I would have time to hang out with my IBD friends up there as well (whenever they don't work 16 hours a day). I was happy. And then I checked my messages. I had received a call from Pala Investments inviting me to become a Summer Associate at their boutique financial firm. It was almost like a miracle had occured. And then I had another interview that day to do a research project for IESE. Anyways, I spoke to the Pala people a couple of times to discuss the offer, and I think I'm going to take it. It would provide a great deal of valuation and more public & private transaction experience in the commodity sector. Just what I need -- I want to get into to commodity Risk Management someday. It would be a challenge, but I've got to appreciate it. Plus I would be living in Switzerland.

When I came home, Felix asked me why I wasn't excited about the offers. I really was happy, because I can finally relax a little on my future. But I guess I had just no more energy to give. I was burned out.



You Are 79% Burned Out



You are very burned out.

You need a huge break from your responsibilities, starting as soon as possible.

And you need this time to reevaluate what you really want out of your life.

Because you're working hard and going no where... and that would burn anyone out!



On Wednesday I was supposed to go party at Mary's place. I couldn't get out of bed. And on weekends I haven't had a social life lately due to the fact that I need to sleep 14 hours a day. This holiday I chose to do nothing. I sleep at least 12 hours a day. I read. I ponder life, and where I want to be in the future. I just need this break... to do... nothing. :)

1 comentario:

Unknown dijo...

Congratulations on the internship offers!