viernes, 19 de diciembre de 2008

My Airport Adventures, Part III

It undeniably happens every time I fly from Barcelona to Austin: I get caught in some kind of airport shenanigans. So I arrive 2 hours early to my British Airways flight (after missing 3 flights out of this airport in the past 2 years and having lost more than 3,000 Euros in these types of mistakes, I try to avoid as much risk as I can.) At the Barcelona airport I do some light shopping at Massimo Dutti, and at the Heathrow Airport in London I decide to pick up a Josh Groban CD on a whim.

Well the British Airways flight was delightful. The first class seating looked incredible with its intricate maze of seats and spaciousness (too bad I was in coach) that I had never seen before. The coach seats were nice too. I got a few bloody marys gratis (I’m used to paying, this is strange and delightful to me) and wine with this pretty nice dinner. There were a lot of choices for movies and TV shows, even music. I chose to revisit the ABBA musical “Mamma Mia!” again and swooned from the red wine I had with dinner. (Honey Honey, how he thrills me, uh huh!) Later I ended up making a playlist of Mana songs from the touchscreen while I read my book. It was a very pleasant flight. Only funny thing was that the welcome pack they gave us had a toothbrush set in long black bullet casing that looked suspiciously like… not a toothbrush set.



Well I get to the Chicago airport an hour late, and the customs checks were taking a while, so it turned out I’d have to stay the night in Chicago. That, and they took my Spanish chorizo I was bringing back home for mom. Dammit.

So I’m at a hotel in Chicago writing this. I fly out to Austin in the morning. Tonight, it’s snowing outside. The streets are covered with beautiful white power. It is only the second time I have ever seen snow. It’s almost heavenly. But inside my hotel room, I crank up the heat, lay out on my king size bed and order room service: Asian noodles with Portobello mushrooms and a diet coke. I turn on the Josh Groban CD full volume and veg out. Life is good.

No hay comentarios: