martes, 23 de septiembre de 2008

My New Orleans Welcome

A New Orleans Welcome

[Scene: Newark Airport.]

I'm sitting alone at the gate, reading a British Cosmo. Two men with southern accents are arguing next to me.

Suddenly, I sneeze.

Southern Guy #1: "Bless you!"
Me: "Thank you."

I look over, surprised someone actually said bless you. I had been sneezing all day, and no one ever said anything. It made me happy that someone was actually nice.

Southern Guy #1: "Hi, I'm Randy. And this is my friend David.
Me: "Hi. I'm Ann. Is this the gate to Houston? It says so on my ticket, but no one seems to be here yet."
Randy: "Yes, we're going to Houston too. Well actually, I'm taking another flight to New Orleans. I live there. And David here lives in Midland, Tx."
Me: "Get out! I used to live in New Orleans. I went to Tulane."
Randy: "Really! I love Tulane! That's a great school."
Me: "Yeah, I love Louisiana."
Randy: "Me too! I'm from Houma, right outside New Orleans. Lived there all my life. Look! I just got back from Croatia. Let me show you some pictures on my laptop!"

[Really, New Orleanians are this friendly.]

Randy: "I love my job! I get to travel all around the world and the pay is really good" Then he whispers to me, "But my job's really easy. You can certainly do my job. Shhh... don't tell anyone!"

We look at the pictures for a while and I notice both guys had wedding rings. And only the New Orleans guy is talking to me.

Randy: "I'm trying to travel as much as possible before I retire in couple of years."
Me: "Retire? Are you serious? How old are you? Late 30s?"
Randy: "I love you! No, I just turned 50."
Me: "Well you don't look over 40." (He had no grey hairs and smooth skin)
Randy: "I love you!!"

On the plane ride, I ended up sitting next to the other guy, David. I said it was really nice to meet a guy as fun and friendly as Randy. David told me that Randy treats all people like family, no matter what race, color, past, status. And his wife is exactly the same way. How refreshing to meet someone like this in the world. Someone who won't immediately judge or characterize you, who automatically assume you are a friend until you betray his trust. And still, at his age, he retained his youthful exuberance and innocence. He puts himself out there, a very caring, extroverted personality.

And I couldn't help but feel a little sad, because I used to be just like him. The whole city of New Orleans is full of these types of people. That is probably why I loved it so much. It really is a special place, like no other. Now I looked at myself and how guarded and cautious I've become, and I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed.

I speak often of my wish to feel "free" again. What I mean by that is to feel like Randy probably feels everyday.

No hay comentarios: