domingo, 26 de octubre de 2008

My Career Fair & Private Banking Workshop Adventure

Career Fair
Since I've decided to revert back to how I was when I lived in New Orleans, I've been a lot happier with life. I'd have to say that 50% of my happiness has come from my rediscovered freedom, and the other 50% from something else.

Last Wednesday I woke up extra early to pick up my renewed NIE as I was traveling to London that weekend and wanted to make sure I'd be allowed entrance back into Spain. I was surprised at the ease it took to get things done in the usual horribly tangled web of Spanish bureaucracy. I actually was smiling the whole time. So I got my card and had a nice leisurely Catalan breakfast at a cafe nearby before taking the metro back to IESE.

See, Wednesday was also the last day of the IESE Career Fair. I got an email from the Healthcare Club telling us to please visit the Medtronic presentation. Since my good friend Xavi works there, I was going to visit regardless. Was a nice presentation.

After that, met my old flatmate Felix for lunch as he was visiting from his semester abroad at London Business School. After 5 minutes, we decide to go for Santander cocktails. I had no intention of talking to Santander bankers, I was just there to meet people naturally, no networking intention. I ended up hanging out with some first year Americans, who were very pleasant to talk to. Zach and Jeffery and I ended up taking beers out to the patio to enjoy the sunny Spanish afternoon. Soon it was time for them to go to the open career fair, and I had a group meeting for ADVIN. I guess I was too much in the New Orleans spirit, as I did not realize until Zach told me that I was still carrying my beer into the business building.

That night I had a nice dinner and movie with Damiaan which turned out to be a lot of fun. Fun I've never had since college. Wednesday was an unbelievably good day.

Private Banking Workshop
Friday was a little adventure, as I always have airport adventures in Europe. I went out to La Prat airport to fly to London, only to find out that my flight didn't exist, and I had bought the wrong ticket. Hijoeputa! Surely any flight I would take to London would make me late to the Private Banking workshop. I could not exchange my ticket, so I had to pay top dollar for a first class seat to Heathrow and would be late to the meeting. The old me would have gone into a tailspin. But the "free" me just smiled, because I'd be riding first class, and this was a sunk cost anyway, no sense in crying over spilled milk. As for being late, I was sure with my personality I'd get out of embarrassment and shame instantly with a smile... In the big scheme of things, it's not really a big deal.

So my flight was so very pleasant. Excellent service. Nice French guy sitting beside me. Many Bombay Sapphire gin & tonics to keep me happy. Delicious chicken & couscous salad. When I got off the plane, I was all smiles. Met a nice Canadian pilot who showed me the way to the Heathrow Express and to the Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf. Then I was off to Credit Suisse. On the way there, a British policeman complimented me on my accent. It was a great day.

When I entered the meeting, it was like a Boiler Room. My smile may have gotten me through the door, but it was like a roomful of sharks in there. I spent some time observing the personalities of the people, who were the alphas, who were the idiots, and who were the kind souls. I saw alot of the fake banker types. I knew how to play that. So once I figured out what was going on, I tried to interject in the meeting with some thoughts on customer relationships and services. I might have been late, but relationhips are definitely my strength. Don't mess with me when it comes to relationships people. I am the guru.

After the meetings, we had a wrapup and a networking session. I knew through all the ones I've been through before that pushing your business card and sucking up to the MDs really doesn't put you far ahead of everyone else. It just looks like you are desperate. And I understand that there is a certain game you must play, and that these are desperate times, but I believe that real relationships don't start with a fake face and a business card. It starts with a genuine connection, and good manners.

So I ended up talking to a shy looking guy standing by himself. I complimented him on his cufflinks. He was wearing pink & green striped ones with a black striped shirt. It turned out that he was a Private Banker. And I got a lot of personal face time in with him and learned alot about private banking. When I told him why I thought private banking was right for me, in my own words as I didn't have time to make "my story", he told me that I was perfect for it. And that I was looking for a career in precisely the right way. It was very affirming.

After the workshop, met Bala for dinner at this Indian restaurant. I loooooved Indian food. And later we met a couple of fun Australians. The girl was 20, and it was like looking back in time to when I was 20. She was charming and fun. It's simply amazing the different types of people you meet, walking through life, if you take the time to stop and smell the roses.

1 comentario:

Xavi dijo...

Hi ! Glad that you liked Medtronic... also, at the same time in first year I was also in Private banking... in the end, did not get any interviews... but hey, well, it was not meant to be. but at least I am happy that you finally find your way.
Hope to see you soon and take care !!!!