domingo, 5 de octubre de 2008

My First Week of Second Year

They say that whenever we get stuck in a rut or when we're off on the wrong path completely, the universe will using various signs to point this out to you. Lately, everything has been falling into place nicely, and I feel more at peace with myself. On the first day of class, my Corporate Communications professor cold called me to prepare a speech the next day on something I was passionate about. You can probably guess that I gave one on Barack Obama. It gave me confidence, and my life a little more meaning.

I also started getting involved with the Democrats Abroad of Barcelona, going to campaign cocktail & voter registration get-togethers, debate screenings, and many more to come on the campaign trail. This is something I did not get to do last year, and this fulfilled a need of mine for transcendental motivation.

And in Alternative Investments, I volunteered to act as hedge fund manager in searching for investment positions in a practice hedge fund. This required that I actually take a leadership role for once, and manage people & investments. I never thought of myself as a leader, it always felt awkward to me to be the one in charge of decisions, but this time, I felt secure. I guess when it's right, it feels right.

Sometimes though, it is hard to know when something or someone is right for you. But usually you can tell when it's wrong. And it's only when you know yourself - not only what your strengths and weaknesses are but also how you learn, how you work with others, what your values are, and where you can make the greatest contribution - that you learn to reject the things that are wrong for you and hope that what is right is waiting for you, somewhere out there...

1 comentario:

Xavi dijo...

great initiative... i see you reflected a lot this past weeks !