lunes, 2 de marzo de 2009

Mi Propio Negocio

When I applied to IESE, I mentioned a business idea that I was passionate about. It seemed good on paper, a logical and simple idea that encompassed most of my interests. But I never really was serious about pursuing it. I admit, I just wanted a ticket to Spain, a new title behind my name, and a new life...

*****
It's kind of funny how it all started. I was at a party my first September in Spain, a housewarming party for my friend Lars, and I was talking to AA. "What do you want to do after the MBA?" he said. I replied, "I have 3 options: Start my own business (the riskiest), get into Finance in the Heathcare industry to become a hospital administrator (middle risky), or become Managing Director of the Sales & Trading side of an investment bank (least risky). [Sidenote: my, how the tables have turned...] And AA said to me, "You don't have to impress me, I'm not an interviewer. Just be prepared to change."

And in that very next September the following year in Barcelona, I met a first year MBA student to whom I asked that same question, "What do you want to do after the MBA?" And he said, "I want to start my own business." And I said, "Oh honey, that'll change. You don't have to impress me..."

*****
And so here I am.

As I went through classes at IESE, still Finance was the subject that interested me most. I reluctantly went through some Entrepreneurial subjects, but mostly they bored me to death and I never had any interest in starting a business or becoming the stereotypical "CEO/Leader." I was more of an analyst and "right hand woman" to the leader. And as several Entrepreneurial Sciences professors asked the question to the class, "Whom of you would like to start a business?" I always proudly kept my hand down.

But times have changed. The financial crisis/global recession is really starting to take effect on us MBAs, and we're having to work harder than before for scraps of jobs. There are simply none out there. The job market is getting smaller and smaller, even for professionals. Forget about Career Services. Forget about alumni networks. Forget about job recruitment sites. Most companies are on a hiring freeze.

And then lessons from Mark Albion's book "More Than Money" came to me again. I should do what I'm passionate about. So essentially I've decided to start a business. This environment is practically forcing me to take a risk I otherwise would never take. I always loved New Orleans and wanted to do something to bring back its economic status pre-Katrina, so I guess now is my chance. Part of me thinks that I am not an Entrepreneur; I'm a people person, a team player, a harmonizer. But then I heard the words from my old Entrepreneurship professor Chris Zott: "Entrepreneurs are not born; they are made."

Many successful businesses I know have started by taking on opportunity like this. But I know I'm not so much in it for the money more so than to bring back New Orleans. Which means that most of the excess profit I make from my share would go to my old University Tulane, IESE and various charities in New Orleans. Guess I'll just give it a try...

No hay comentarios: