martes, 11 de marzo de 2008

My Job Search Adventure During Finals

"Our conversation got disconnected and I don't have his number so I've been waiting by the phone for him to call. He must not have liked me. If he really liked me he would call."

"Don't worry," said Andrew. "The right one will come along..."

So I went back to the operations review session, sat down & fought back tears. If I am so wonderful I thought, why am I still jobless?

Last night I got an invitation from Pala Investments to interview the next day. I was swamped, seriously swamped, but I gave some times I was available and apologized for being so busy. Since the interview was the next day, I had hoped they'd confirm that same day. I checked my email religiously waiting for a reply. I thought I should send them another email saying that I'd rearrange my schedule for THEM (skipping class, meetings, review sessions), but Felipe said "No! You already sent them an email! It's their job to reply!" Don't want to seem too eager...

The next morning, they sent me an email with an interview in my recommended time slot. :)

So, my first interview today was with Pala. They were looking for someone to research and provide valuations for companies. It sounded like something I really wanted to do, and had the training for, but these people were so high profile that I felt humbled that they considered me, a simple American girl from Tulane. They said they would send me an email in a couple weeks.

As it goes with men in love and careers, I believe that if they really liked me, they would call.

My next interview was with Barclays Strategy Consultants. Barclays is a bank I always wanted to work for. From the first time I met its representatives, I had fallen in love. But Barclays to me is like the guy you always had a crush on in high school but who never noticed you. Of all the times you hinted and flirted, he had rejected them all... I must have applied to 3 different positions at Barclays, but to no avail. The problem is that I know I'm special. And I know I could do this job. But somehow... it never ends the way I want it.

The interview went okay; I was caught off guard with some of the questions and needed some time to warm up. They weren't the typical investment banking questions I was used to having, but then again, this was for consulting. And at the end, we got disconnected somehow. I tried to call back the number I had on ID, but it was probably a general number and I got no answer. I didn't have his direct line or email address so I waited for him to call... and waited... and I seriously believe that if he really wanted to hire me, he wouldn't let me go that easily.

So we are back to me in the Operations review, looking sad. Thinking I'd never get a job and I'd probably end up settling as a sales manager in an Abercrombie and Fitch retail store when my heart and true talent is in risk analysis, valuations and reading & interpreting financial statements. Sigh...

Queues. Arrival times. Lambda. I was lost in thought, but preoccupied with the equations Alejandro Lago was so considerately writing on the board. Suddenly I heard violins...

It was my phone. I got a phone call which disrupted the review session. "This is Ann." I said. "Hi, this is GR with Pala Investments. We would like to invite you to our final round interview tomorrow..."

If they really liked you, they would call.

No hay comentarios: