domingo, 9 de marzo de 2008

On Finals

There is a quote on Customer Relationship Management that goes as follows:

"Frequently you end up trying to build relationships with the wrong customers, or trying to build the wrong relationships with the right customers."


This has special meaning to me because IT IS JUST LIKE DATING. Geez. When we find a solution to this CRM problem, somebody tell me, because I sure as hell would like to know.

Why is it that we as MBAs must struggle to find a summer internship, 3 cases a day, section/team/nationality dinners, BOW, sports and still expect to have time to study for finals? And why is it that we do not have a dead week to fully process what we've learned???

I have not attended any BOWs in numerous weeks and already skipped about 3 section/girls/team dinners. Why? Because I need a job. And I need to be able to implement theory. And, of course, I'm performing Spring Fling Salsa and need to learn the program...

See, I've discovered that part of the reason why I struggle in this MBA is because I master the theory but not the implementation. As I see on my past exams, I have gotten all the concept questions right, but all the calculations wrong. But I have just no patience to go over boring operations problems or complex cost allocation problems.

And why is it that the week of finals, all the interesting cases appear?? I was not planning to read any cases this week, but I've found myself putting off studying (AKA doing problems because studying theory never pays off) for finals and procrastinating by doing cases. I simply can't stop reading the stuff: The Kidder Peabody rogue trader who provoked liquidation of the bank by booking forward recons. Who is to blame? Oh, it's really a criminal law case! Santander Bank: How would it market it's new credit card? Could tell me why has the BarclayCard been so successful! And the case of Polyphonic and how they use science to determine hit song structure. What could more interesting than that?? (I'm being serious).

So now that I have done all the cases for this week (except operations-too boring), I'm faced with the burden of inanely practicing problems on allocating direct machine hours or labor hours or whatever the hell Activity Based Throughput Constraint Direct Machine Hour Relevant Costing is all about. As Napoleon Dynamite would say: "GOSH!"

No hay comentarios: