domingo, 6 de julio de 2008

My First Taste of Switzerland

The first 2 weeks of living in Switzerland seemed much longer to me. Partly because there had been just so much going on. Got settled into corporate housing:

Yes, that is a currency trading chart up on my laptop, and a Portuguese rooster on my nightstand.

During my first week on the job, the EuroCup Quarter & Semi Finals were taking place, with Spain beating Italy and then later Russia. Work was intense, just trying to figure out everything, trying not to make a mistake, and trying to learn as much about the complicated industry of Metals & Mining as I could.

The first weekend in Switzerland, I went with my boss to Luzern, where they were having a Swiss Yodeling Festival. I actually went to the KKL to hear people yodel on stage.... drank lots of beer, took a look around:





Summary: Basically a very Germanic beerfest. With yodeling. And horns.

The next day Spain won the European Championship finals against Germany. I don't know why, because I generally hate sports, that I get so caught up in soccer despite of myself. It happened during the World Cup, and now the EuroCup. Nevertheless, enhorabuena España!

Summary: WOOHOO!

The next week at work got me starting on some new deals, and transactions scare me, especially private equity, because there is so much unknown. It's like a case in class, but luckily it is a Finance case so I have some clue of what's going on. But seeing your completed transaction in a Press Release or in the WSJ is really why I got into Investment Banking.

On Friday, it was US Independence Day, the financial markets were closed, but we had to work anyway. :-) The Caliente festival was starting in Zurich, an all weekend madhouse Latin Party with salsa, merengue, cumbia, samba, forro, reggaeton, all that stuff I just can't get enough of. Felt like I was in Heaven. Basically it was like a Latin MultiCulti, with each country setting up a booth with flags, music, drinks and food from their country. But most of them were a little mixed up, some serving Paella and Sangria, but with a Mexican flag bearing & playing Samba music, or with a Portuguese stand playing salsa (what does Portugal have to do with South American music??). I think the funniest one was the Mexican stand with Indian food.

I think my favorite stand was the only Colombian stand in the pack. They had the most authentic salsa & cumbia music. And I spent the day eating Colombian empanadas, taking aguadiente shots and listening to salsa music, occassionally dancing a few songs when someone knew how to dance (and almost all Colombians do!)

Nevertheless, it was a HUGE party encompassing a whole quarter of Zurich with Latin music, caipirinhas and spicy food. Heaven.

Cumbia!


Upon entering Helvetiaplatz, first thing I see:


Brazilians know what this is:



View at night from a friend's apartment. Reminded me of Bourbon Street in New Orleans at Mardi Gras. WOOOOO!

Summary: Caliente!

1 comentario:

Carmen dijo...

Wow!! I'm so excited to read your news and see you are doing well!! I did't know about the internship and I was a little worried for you but now reading all this I'm proud! You have matured a lot and see things differently, you have grown my friend! Can't wait to hear more!

Hugs and kisses!!