lunes, 14 de julio de 2008

Some Things on My Mind

[Tilting head slightly to the left with a contemplating gaze a la JD from SCRUBS]

As I rode the train back to Cham after spending a 13 hour day at work (I was there all day doing a model of a South American mining firm, but secretly wishing I were doing a model from a South American mining firm... just joking) I came across some interesting articles in the Wall Street Journal Europe.

First, Ingrid Betancourt, recently freed from FARC captivity in Colombia, eyes challenging current President Uribe for the Presidency in the future. She attacks Uribe for using military guidance to control the FARC (who are considered terrorists in US and Europe) rather than negotiation. While I do understand and somewhat agree with Betancourt's position (because military hasn't been working until recently, and I am not a big fan of military strategies like the US uses), first I believe this "negotiation" strategy is highly risky and naive, and secondly I do understand why Uribe chooses to use the military. Alvaro Uribe is one of the people I look up to and admire, and hope to meet one day. He is trying to pass legislation to keep him president for a 3rd term. And although it was Uribe and the Colombian military that freed Betancourt, she does have a right to her opinion. I just hope she provides necessary balance to Uribe's highly Washington-like administration, working to free the other captives, instead of trying to shake Uribe off the podium... because Colombia, and the rest of the world, is lucky to have him up there.

Next, news of BBVA taking this opportunity of US bank failure to expand in the South, particularly Alabama through Texas, using leverage from their acquisition of Compass. Smart move BBVA. Not only am I a big fan of contrarian investing, but I am also a fan of Spanish banks who don't like lots of off balance sheet leverage ;-). And since visiting their trading floor in Madrid, I've always had a special place for in my heart for Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria. Whatever happens, I see something good in store...

No hay comentarios: