sábado, 24 de noviembre de 2007

An American Thanksgiving In Barcelona

I've never had a Thanksgiving outside the United States, or away from my family for that matter. But I never really considered Thanksgiving that important to me. An American student at IESE had a Thanksgiving party at her house for all the first year Americans. I never really liked parties that brought together only a certain nationality (because I think we should be global and diverse, not nationalistic), but I decided to go anyway.

But when I came in the door and saw David, Josh, Jacob, Jake... I almost pounced on them all! I love my Americans! It was the most familiar thing, everyone talking with the same accent, the same mannerisms I grew up with, the same smells in the kitchen, I came to really appreciate my country and it's culture which I once believed was non-existant. I think what Josh said really hit home: "Close your eyes. You hear that? Nothing but Americans..." It was like a little home away from home.

I remember meeting all these people when I first came to IESE, and it was good to see how much everyone has matured... And although there is nothing I love more than being with people from all over the world, I did finally appreciate my country that day.

After dinner, me being trashed, we went to the BOW at Yabba Dabba. Almost the whole team A8 was there. It was nice to see them all. Spent some time talking to Florian. Although he is almost my exact opposite on the personality scale, I had a really pleasant time talking to him that night. And Josh. What a great guy. And, who could forget, Sebastian.

No hay comentarios: