jueves, 8 de noviembre de 2007

Respect Accounting

I remember the first time I fell in love with Business. They didn't let us enter the Business School at Tulane until after 2 years of Liberal Arts education, so the only Business class you were allowed to take in that period was Accounting. Call me cheesy, call me a geek, but I loved that class. I used to study Accounting long nights in the Business School breakout rooms, while dreaming of becoming an Investment Banker.

And what's more, Accounting saved my life. I remember Halloween Freshman year, I was drinking Hand Granades on Bourbon Street with my friends, but was feeling so down because I just had my heart broken for the very first time. I decided to leave early and go to the business school, which was deserted, to study Accounting. Strangly enough, Accounting was very theraputic for me. Everything balanced, everything had a place on the General Ledger and the T-Accounts. It was as if to say that even though my life was a mess, and I was unhappy, at least somewhere everything worked out. Everything belonged somewhere. Everything balanced.

My Accounting teacher used to say "Assets equal Liabilities plus Equity, always and forever." I loved that phrase. It gave me security to know that this simple but powerful equation, is stable and true, always and forever. And another thing: For every debit was an equal and corresponding credit. (Per transaction). It's as if to say, whatever you put in, you get out. Your efforts are always accounted for in some way. That's how I want my relationships to be.

Everyone, please respect the beauty of Accounting... And good luck on tomorrow's midterm!

No hay comentarios: