domingo, 9 de septiembre de 2007

My First Latin Party

I am not going to lie. Adjusting to Spanish life has been hard. I have been quite homesick since I got here with missing my friends at home and longing for the convenience of the States. What was once a 7 minute commute in my car to work now turns into a 1 hour commute to school by bus. Sometimes the bus takes half an hour to arrive. Shitty buses. Well, in a few months I will have a new moto (hopefully red!) Just as soon as I can get my international driver’s licence and Spanish residency card (the bureaucracy here takes so long to process anything…) and my days of public transportation will be limited to taking the metro home trashed at 7AM…

Last Friday was my first Latin party in Barcelona. Before the party was a rugby game between France & Argentina at an Irish bar downtown. But when we arrived at the party at café Noir the sounds of pop vallenato sensation Fanny Lu filled the room. Vallenato! I couldn’t believe it! It finally felt like home. Although it took a while and many beers before people would get up and dance, I’ve found that most European guys dance like Americans! (Albeit, with a bit better rhythm.) Danced some nice merengue songs and simple salsa songs with some South Americans. But then there was one guy who really knew how to dance -- a 17 year old Austrian! The things you find in Barcelona!

Although it has taken me a while to become accustomed to European lifestyle, all I had to do was find a local salsa spot…. (Pales in comparison to Houston though…)

No hay comentarios: