martes, 19 de febrero de 2008

My Stream of Consciousness

Today I saw our Strategy professor sit at a table by himself eating lunch. He looked so uncomfortable, playing with his phone. I wanted to go and sit with him so badly so that he wouldn't be alone. But I thought that A) he might think I was coming on to him or B) he might think I was scamming for a good grade and C) I was just finishing up with Blanca and Marco and didn't have much lunch left anyway. So I just waved from across the cafeteria. He waved back. It was nice.

And I was thinking on the bus ride home that my perfect job would be at a company where I could wear a suit with flip flops everyday to work. You know, something like a Finance hippy. When I worked at a bank, I used to toy with the fantasy of opening my own investment bank called simply "A", for the way I sign my name, and for the fact that it will always be the first bank displayed on Prospectuses because the banks of that tier are listed in alphabetical order. I would differentiate myself by emphasizing a positive, ethical, can-do atmosphere that focuses on client relationships and quality of life rather than maximizing profits. And I'd wear suits and flip flops every day to work. That's right. Finance hippy.

You know the past couple of years have been such a struggle, and I had been waiting for someone to come along to inspire me. And finally I found someone. I picked up the Economist for today, which had Barack Obama's picture on the cover, and I remember thinking that I never felt so much hope and inspiration from someone in a long time. He makes me believe that the world will be better, and that all of us have a purpose here, working together. He makes me believe that America can build itself up again, this time with diplomacy rather than military power & might. I have been waiting for someone like him for a long time. With one simple slogan: Yes We Can he makes me feel like I do anything, be anything. And it is truly wonderful.

No hay comentarios: