sábado, 2 de febrero de 2008

My Mentor

"I thought about how when you make tough decisions, good things can happen. Like the confidence you can gain from finding your true calling. And when you make decisions for the wrong reasons, they can come back to bite you in the ass. In the end, it’s always best to rely on your principles to make the decisions."
-JD, SCRUBS

I went to see my mentor a few days ago.

"So, how are you doing?" he said.

"Pretty okay." I replied. "I didn't get any sales and trading offers."

He nodded, no look of surprise on his face. "What do you think that means?"

"That I am not meant to do that."

He changed the subject. "I was looking through your files, and you say that your problem is lack of self-esteem, but I think it is more that you are very self-critical." We talked about Finance for a while. Then he said, "I can see that you have high scores on people, communication, networking, relationships... you are through the roof on altruism... but your competencies are in Finance. With that, and your people skills, you would be a dream financial manager."

"I was thinking of trying other areas of banking, like Risk Management, Legal & Compliance, or Debt Capital Markets."

"I think that what you are looking for won't be in a bank. I don't think the type of work matters to you as much as the organizational goals and the people you work with. Maintain harmony-that is your purpose in life. I would suggest you look into positions in Finance in other industries; you say you like healthcare & fashion..."

"That opens up alot of options now." I said. "Finding the perfect job for me is going to be like finding the perfect guy. And I've stopped believing in that."

"Something, and someone, is out there."

"I don't think so. I always mess everything up."

"Well, there is someone out there who would love that you mess everything up."

"I think the second you stop fighting, time really is on your side. And you can go on being who you really are. Or keep enjoying that little crush of yours..."
-JD, SCRUBS

;-)

No hay comentarios: