miércoles, 3 de octubre de 2007

How Sarcastic Can I Get?

So I was reading Antonio's blog (now that it's no longer in Portuguese) and I have decided to log my time in Barcelona for this entry as he writes... how sarcastic can I get? (No really, it is a very good blog, this is simply an act of admiration and not sarcasm) So here is a day in the life of Anna en Espana...

Hehehe here goes.

I awoke at 7:20h to the sound of my radio despertador. There is some lady talking very fast in Spanish, and I decide it is too early to be thinking. Last night I stayed up until 2:30h doing case studies. As I did the last 2 nights in a row. In the kitchen I run into my flatmate Guillermo. He is making coffee.

"Woah there. You are moving way too fast. It is too early to be moving around so fast," I say. He starts cracking up. I try to speak to him in Spanish but it comes out all slurry.

15 minutes later I hop on his moto and we drive to school. He always says we look like a couple because we bought the same helmet. I didn't have a choice.. they didn't have it in red.

We get to IESE and depart for our respective groups. I am in group A8; he is in the Spanish group C8. Today I am the case leader for the Marketing case. I've prepared a little outline which I distributed around 1:30h last night. "I'm ready for the class!" I think. WRONG!

The teacher is insane. He has no logical path or structure to the class. He moves from one topic to another and you have to have the quick reaction time of a floor trader. Participation credit is 60% so I must try to dominate the class! Just kidding. But the hazard in this is that he often quickly dismisses your comment if it is not what he wants to hear, rejecting it with a big loud "NO!" So I end up raising my hand all day and he never calls on me. I whisper to Marco that he hates me because he never calls on me. How could he not notice me, I am front and center in a bright shirt, and I have my hand raised very high, and I'm hot. Marco raises his hand and in an instant he is called on. The teacher acknowledges his comment positively.

So I'm still raising my hand. Even though the topic moves around all over the place I still have something to say. But he never calls on me. So I start loudly snapping my fingers. And I'm slouching a little bit, bored of pretending to care. Finally he asks a question and looks at me for a split second and I think, this is my chance! I have to speak up because he never notices me! So the second he looks at me, and begins to point at me to begin, I start talking loudly. And then he points at me and screams "NO!" before I could even speak!

Turns out he didn't like that I spoke out of turn. But I noticed that when other people did that he let them speak. I say "DAMN!" really loud and out of reflex. Everyone is laughing because they know how long I've had my hand up, especially Marco.

God. I was so glad when that class was over. The next class was Analysis of Business Decisions hosted by our section leader, a strict German. He expects you to be prompt, no drinking or eating in class, no laptops, nobody leaves class. The first day I met him, like many others, I thought he was a monster. Now I was so glad to see him. I was glad to see him because although he may seem tough, he is very fair and just. He actually listens and considers what I say. He actually calls on me. Because of that I want to do well and be prepared for him. He noticed I wasn't speaking much in class today when I normally do (that Marketing guy just took the wind out of me!) and he called on me for my opinion! He actually seemed to care, and he noticed that I was quiet today, so he called on me. I know others may think he called on me to see if I actually did the case, but I didn't feel that way. I felt... valued and respected. I almost wrote an email to him after class saying that I really appreciated his equitable teaching style. But I didn't.

Today after lunch we had a Spanish test. I bombed that. Didn't have time to study. I hope they don't hold me back a level. Although I wish they did because I feel I could learn a lot by retaking that class again, I simply did not have time with all the case work we have to do to stay an extra 2 hours at school. I cannot wait until I get my own moto, and I won't have to depend on other people to ride with...

So I came home, tried to take a nap, but I kept getting these phone calls! Hehehe. No I liked it. I couldn't sleep anyway. Had too much Accounting....

No hay comentarios: